Saturday, May 23, 2009

More on the Supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ

More on the Supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ

For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ (Ph. 1.19)

The time is coming very soon when we will be asked to give account for the use of the talents the Lord has given us. Will we say, most assuredly, we gave Him first priority and sought to faithfully invest in the Kingdom the talents he entrusted to us? Even now, I put myself at the Master’s feet asking how to lovingly and effectively do His will and be used of Him for His Kingdom to come.

I recall, not too many years ago, when I seemed to be one who had no supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ to the extent that the ungodly expected me to agree with them how worldly Christians were equally deserving of Hell as anyone else. How perverse! I, a Christian, backslidden to the point that there was no indication I had ever received any grace which saves and confounds the unbelieving.

I was just a beggar on the street, now forgiven and commissioned by Christ, Himself, filled with the Holy Ghost, humbled before Almighty God, simply writing about where I found food. I found an abundant supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Though, at one time, I recognized the ungodly as more righteous than I, I now see many in the Church as not too different from what I was. How can that be?

It’s simply a matter of the will. Where will I put my priority? Family? Work? Hobby? Being with Jesus Christ? In only the last of these will we experience the Supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. There is no other way. Someone wrote, “There is no shortcut around the prayer closet.”

In the prayer closet, we may behold the face of Jesus, as in a glass, being changed from glory to glory, as by the Holy Ghost. To compromise that devoted time of communion with Christ is to put ourselves in short supply of the Spirit.

In putting ourselves in the place of private, concentrated communion with Him, we become, also, the supply of the Spirit for others.
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life (Jn. 4.14).

As I started writing, I was in prayer for those who would like to be better witnesses for Christ, yet it just doesn’t seem to happen. The words don’t come forth and anything that does come forth seems only to add confusion to the truth of the Gospel. It came to me in simplicity: Drink deeply of the water of life and you will become that supply of water (the Spirit of Jesus Christ) springing up unto life eternal for others.

No comments: