Friday, May 22, 2009

The Supply of Christ

Recently, I met a young lady who had a fish symbol on her necklace. Not to single her out, I will also comment on the use of Christian symbols very skillfully painted on a motorcycle. I also recall a young man who had a large sign on the back of his car indicating, "JESUS SAVES, Jn. 3.16." He had a reputation for traveling at excessive speeds even on narrow streets.
I am convinced at least two of these people were saved. There was no indication two of the three ever broke the law or were offensive to others.
One thing for certain, they all used symbols to let others know of their faith.
The question comes to mind, "what is the conversation of these or any of those who claim to be Christian? Is it only about things of the world or is it about the things of Jesus Christ?"
When confronted with the Holy One of Israel, two of the above were unable to engage in conversation, as if such conversation is only allowed between 11:00 a.m. and 12:01 p.m. on Sunday by the pastor. I could almost sense one saying, "I keep my faith to myself" and the other seems only interested in ministry related activities and ice cream.
The Lord Jesus said, "Ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost has come upon you, and ye shall be witnesses unto me . . ." To be a witness is to provide proof, by conversation and deed, concerning what Christ has done. That proof will be with power since the Holy Ghost has come upon me. There should be no question. In Acts. 4.16 we read, "they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus."
If someone has been with Jesus, it has not only been written in the Book of Remembrance, but a metamorphosis has occurred, which can not be humanly manufactured nor can it be hidden. One who has not been with Him simply cannot manufacture His presence.
This is the result of the promise of Jesus, "ye shall be witnesses unto me." This is conclusive and absolute. Paul spoke of the supply of the Spirit in Ph. 1.19, "For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ."
We have the promise. We potentially have the supply, if we choose to accept it.
My prayer is for that supply to be truly existent in the Church (the fact is, many have no reason to return due to the lack) and the witness of Christ be in power of the Holy Ghost.

No comments: