Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Cross be Gain

All I owe
to Him who died
who saved my soul
Christ crucified
No Saviour known
but Jesus Christ
I'll take the cross
for He's my life
the world be loss
the cross be gain
Jesus my Lord
who bore my pain

And he said to [them] all, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?
For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and [in his] Father's, and of the holy angels. (Lk. 9.23-26)?

Let my motivation, O Lord, be correct. May I be crucified with you and truly live. I take up not my cross to obtain heaven, but because thou has written my name in glory, I take up my cross. You lead me, O Lord, to serve you for I, of myself, know not how to serve you. In me, I have no good thing. Thus, service of my own contrivance is fleshly work and certainly dead.
Since what is in me is no good, I need the cross and must die daily. As I crucify the flesh, you, O Lord, take over causing me to become more like you.
Thank you, Lord, for your Word and your Holy Ghost who dwells in me.

No comments: