Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ultimate Reality

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits (Pa. 103. 1,2)

Today, we're almost past the holidays. We head into the time when the worldliness of day to day living can become wearisome: Work, bills, auto repairs, those things reminding us we are on the earth, more bills, etc. We can say, "it is the dead of winter and I sense the pressure of a world against me."

I make no escape from reality or responsibility. I prefer to look to whom is the ultimate reality. To do otherwise is idolatry. Dare I be consumed in the mundane when God commands us to seek His face (Ps. 27.8)? God declares He is God, "beside me I know no other Savior (Is. 43.11)."

The Psalms is a book rich, among other things, in theology. We read of His might:

For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD (Ps. 89.6)?

He is a God to be feared and revered:

God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him (Ps. 89.7).

He is immutable:

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

Thy faithfulness is unto all generations: thou hast established the earth, and it abideth (Ps. 119. 89,90).

He is holy:

But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel (Ps. 22.3).

Thy testimonies are very sure: holiness becometh thine house, O LORD, for ever (Ps. 93.5).

With such a wonderful God, we must say:

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it (Ps. 118.24).


No comments: