Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Well of Eternity

My brother said to me, "God is deep and expects us to be deep, so let's be deep." This from someone who always had much to say about man's relation with our Lord, yet had a history of not sounding profound. Yet his statement has stuck with me, as driven with a pin, for many years. To this day, neither he nor I understand the full implications, though we tremble before God, who may cause us to understand and help others to come to such depths of knowing our Lord.

We have all been born into carnal life. Our first sound is to command satisfaction. We tend to crave satisfaction all our lives while our Lord commands us to take up that which will put a cruel end to all we believe comforting and satisfying. We have been born into a carnal life but we are called to pass into eternal life. A life which requires nothing less than despising all our worldly pleasure to enter the joy of our Lord.

And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me (Mk 8.34).

Though our carnal lives must exist, we don't have to live in a carnal way. We are called to live in a spiritual way. We are called to ask of the Lord a new, spiritual life that exalts Yeshua and worships Him, as God, who must be approached and worshipped in the spirit. God is Spirit and must be worshipped in Spirit and Truth.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again (Jn. 3.7).

If we are honest with ourselves, we must recognize our spiritual bankruptcy. A bankruptcy which causes thirst and hunger for the One, True God, our Maker. He calls us to come to Him and receive of Him the sustenance we require:
"Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price (Is. 55.1)."

So beautifully, Yeshua stated to a Samaritan woman the carnal water we drink provides temporal quenching while His water places a spiritual well within us:

"Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life (Jn. 4.13,14)."

To have depth, I must have that infinite well within me producing limitless quantities of Living Water for myself and those I come in contact with.

No comments: